">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, December 05, 2005

16 weeks to Port ( Gordo Interview )

Plan: Canberra 1/2 this weekend
Swim: 3 sessions (1 squad, 1 open water, race)
Bike: 3 sessions (1 x 2hr Intervals, 1 x 1.5 hills, race)
Run: 3 sessions (1 x Aet/ strides, 1 x 40min tempo, race)

This week is somewhat of a taper week. That will start Thrusday afternoon. Most of my training will be on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in a last ditch effort to find a little bit more strength and fitness. I’ll probably do a light run on Monday and swim squad that night. Tuesday, I’ll ride Mt Keira in the morning and then run my tempo run in the afternoon. Wednesday, I’ll do a ocean swim in the morning with Scotty H and we’ll work on our swim starts with some hard 200-300m efforts out to a swim buoy off North beach. In the afternoon I’ll do a very light run of around 40-45min. Thursday, morning I’ll do some Threshold efforts of 5-3min with a 1min RI over a mixed terrain. After that I’ll probably just kick back, stretch heaps and do some 20-30min easy rides or runs.

If your looking for a good article. The link above is an interview with Gordo Byrn and how he got to where he is today. Here are some noteable quotes from the article

Gordo Quotes from recent interview

“In making the transformation towards a decent elite athlete, initially, the toughest part was deciding what to do – there have been periods of my development where I really had no clue how to get to the next level” (gordo)

“Once I knew what it was going to take, showing up every day, day after day – that can be tough. It helps that I really like to train.” (gordo)

“For your readers that have access to power, I’ll share some thoughts on watts. The other day, I caught myself being a little disappointed because I couldn’t hold 300w for 50K after doing some hill repeats. For me, 300w is a magic number. If you are a good runner and can hold 300w steady-state then you have a very good shot at winning most Ironman races (including Kona). In pure cycling terms, 300w isn’t a crazy number. It’s do-able if you train your butt off.” (gordo)

“So, for your readers that think that ‘elite’ cycling numbers are out of their reach, think again! If you want it, if you are willing to put in the ten of thousands of Ks that are required, then you can become a far better cyclist than you ever thought possible.” (gordo)

“Cam finished about an hour up the road on me! Having a guy like that in our sport forces all of us to lift our game.” (gordo)

“Surrounding myself with the best athletes and coaches in the world works well to keep me in check. Think that you are swimming well – try to sit on Monica’s feet for a while. Think that you are running well – try to hang with the Baron on a training run. Think that you are riding well – head out the door with Mister A (and pray for flat roads and a hurricane headwind!). My training partners work to keep me humble and maintain high standards of excellence.” (gordo)

“I’ve found that most athletes don’t know ‘how’ to train – or perhaps – they simply don’t enjoy training like I do. Specifically, they haven’t developed the feel for the long steady training that's essential for endurance success. When I’m sitting in a bunch, I’m either 40-50 bpm below my threshold or covering a random pace surge. It’s not the training that I need for my cycling.” (gordo)

“Also, I’ve got several training idiosyncrasies that mean that often I’m not particularly well-suited to group situations. I still haven’t mastered the zen-like calm that’s required when a guy that’s been drafting for four hours decides that he’ll crank the pace (for a full 90 seconds) towards the end of a ride. That kind of stuff can piss me off – especially when my blood sugar is a bit low.” (gordo)

“The single greatest thing that you can do to improve your performance is get an extra hour of sleep, every single night. Secondly, take the time to build a simple, straightforward training plan that addresses the basic requirements for success – and stick with it.” (gordo)

“Anything that you see in me is simply a reflection of the potential that you have within yourself.” (gordo)







fluro

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fluronater
Good luck in Canberra mate, I hope you can qualify, I think the qualifying time from last years race is well within your grasp, even if you are only half fit.

Cheers,
Mick.

8:26 am  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

cheers mate,

was able to run 1hr and 3min last sunday before I was forced to walk. I'll be stoked if I can at least run that far again next Sunday.
I think the root of my problems are coming down to the cleat position on my bike, but Im having trouble get enough info on this. I know I have a lateral stress syndrome in both legs but my left is the worst. trying to find out if the is linked to having a rocker (not float) in my cleats, which causes me to over supinate while I peddle.
Any got to get back to work

Thanks the msg
fluro

9:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home