">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, November 21, 2005

18 weeks to go

Plan
Swim: 4 sessions (2 squad, 2 open water)
Bike: 3 sessions (40km TT, 1.5 hr Aet, 4 hr long ride)
Run: 4 session (2-30min easy, 30min brick, 50min LSD)

The idea this week is to knock over another 2 squad sessions and 2 open water swims. I'll aim to bike 3 sessions which will include a 40km TT effort at zone 4-5a, an easy 1.5 hr aet ride and a 4hr long ride. On my long ride on Saturday I'll probably head up Mt Keira before meeting the group at 6am. Once I'm with the group I want to spend more time at the front of the pack riding around IMpace, until the 3-3.5 hr mark and then I'll shift up a gear and TT at MSS-mod hard. My long ride at this stage is my only BT session for the week. The focus being on building up as much strength as I can on the bike. I especially want to improve my ability to push a big gear on the flats in the TT position. Last week I averaged 136bpm for this ride, I want to be able to increase that to around the 140bpm mark over the next three weeks in the lead up to Canberra half.
On the run I'll aim for 4 runs, three of those will be 30mins each and the last run I'll increase up to 50min, keeping the pace as close as possible to Aet. (145bpm). One of the 30min runs will be off the bike and will probably happen after the 40km TT.
My calf has pulled up pretty well with me starting up training again this week. I would say I'm at about 60% at the moment. While it is not hurting while I train I am feeling some discomfort a day or two after a training session.
I have 3 sessions planned for core stability work and flexibility training. My flexibility has really improved lately, but I do need to focus more on improving my core stability and glut medials, as my injury is primarily biomechanical and needs to be addressed by my own actions.

Tip of the week.
Don't focus on IM training (April) just yet. There's no need to burn your self out. Spend time getting as fit as you possibly can and have fun doing it.

Actual
Swim: 2 sessions (1.45)
Bike: 4 sessions (7.55)
Run: 4 sessions (2.28)

Total: 12.08hrs
The whole week of training went very well except for my last session, my long run. I was hoping to run 1 hr at a very easy pace. Everything went really well until I reached the 45min mark. The pain running down the left side of my leg came on so fast and was so painful I had to stop running and walk home by the time I reached 55min. It didn't feel like nerve pain or soft tissue damage, but my fibula or tibia seemed to be killing me. I don't know why. I'm making a conscious effort to push off my big toe now and maybe that caused the issue.
Swam twice this week. I missed 2 sessions due to working my second job at the club. The bike sessions went very well. I TT'd around Jamberoo doing 40min at IMpace then 20min at HIMpace. I completed 80km(av sp 32.5kph, 650m of climbing, av hr 143bpm)) with a 6km run off the bike. I did another very easy 1 hr recovery ride and my usual saturday morning long ride(3hrs), which was cut short due to severe weather. Luckily Scott and I met at 5am and were able to get in around 1.5 hrs before the heavens opened up on us. We decided not to ride through Jamberoo as it would of been just too dangerous. Instead we rode around lake Illawarra at a good solid tempo. Once we hit Windang it was on for young and old and at one point I was sitting on 48kph with a hr of 174bpm. This lasted for around 20min before we reached the steelworks. My leg is holding up well on this ride and I starting to find my legs again on the bike. My new forward position has definitely given me a heap more power on the flats and I know I've lost some power on the climbs. I think this has been a good trade off and money well spent getting a Professional bike fit down. In a nutshell my seat was raised 2.5 cm, moved one 1cm further forward and my front end was dropped 3 spaces. It was a big change and I thought it would of taken some time to get used to, but it feels fantastic to ride in the aero position.
2 weeks to go to Canberra and I have no idea as to what I'm going to do about running 21km off the bike. At this stage I can't even run 1hr fresh. I hope things will improve for me soon. This is my last chance to try and qualify for Port.

fluro
P.S congratulations to everyone who competed over at IMWA. That looked like one very tough day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home