">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Yesterday's run

My first run
I ran yesterday for the first time in 15 weeks without pain. It was such a good feeling to just don the shoes on and head out the door and enjoy what I love doing so much; train. It has been such a long slow recovery this time around and I'm not yet fully convinced I'm over my injury. My stress fracture appears to have heeled but I'm still having issues with my peroneal nerve and some general numbness down the left side of my lower leg. Because things have stagnated in terms of getting better, I've decided to try and ease back into some training.
I've made a number of changes to the way I'm training now in an attempt to try and stay injury free. These include
o Flexibility work 3-4 times PW
o Core stability work 2-3 times PW
o Improved recovery between workouts. This includes taking BCAA's and L-glutamine supplements
o Improved bike position. Bike fit at Cheeky Monkeys bike shop
o Improve running economy. I'm adopting more of a POSE method to running to eliminate impact injuries
o Change of shoes. Asics Keyano's to Asics Nimbus

Overall the emphasis this time around will be to improve my recovery between workouts. I think the majority of my injuries have occurred as a result of training on a tired body. Training tired has resulted in me overloading muscle groups that don't have the ability to cope with poor biomechanics (eg my peroneal muscles have been working overtime to compensate for my inability to control my core stability).
So yesterday I went for an easy 35min run trying out the POSE method. I've been practising the drills as outlined in the book Triathlon training running by Ken Mierke. I've been progressing well with the drills and felt as though I was ready for a run. Well, my hr was through the roof running at 5min k's. I was told this would happen for a while. It felt strange to be running with a forward lean and I had to really concentrate on maintaining my form. At the end of the run my calves were quite sore. Once again I was told this would occur until I can build up the durability and strength in my calves. Overall I think the POSE method is the way to go. You feel very light on your feet and it does move the workload away from your quads and onto your calves. Once I learn to utilise the elastic recoil better I think I will start running much more efficiently. I'll give it a good 10-12 weeks before I consider doing anything else. For now I just want to run without pain.
Tomorrow I'll try another 30 minute run with emphasis on lowering my hr back down below 150bpm. Yesterday's run was 6.5km @ 5min K's with an average heart rate of 156bpm.

fluro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home