">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Week ending 7/10/2007




Photo
Last weekend was just like this the whole entire time. It was relentless.

Well I've missed posting on here for a couple of weeks as I have dug myself in quite a hole. I did the Terry Fox 5km Fun Run 2 weeks ago. It really hurt my feet to do this run, but I ended up coming 2nd overall which I was very happy with. However, my feet were in a terrible state for the week that followed. I couldn't even run further than 2minutes without having to stop and walk. It got a the point where I was ready to give it all up. How could I possibly continue to train for an IM if I couldn't even run 5km without severe repercussions.
With nowhere to go I decided to make one last trip back to the foot podiatrist. She did a complete overhaul on my orthotics by inserting a grid system under my feet so that my joints are now sitting over holes. Guess what? It worked I'M BACK. I did my 1st ever run in Japan without any pain. It's early days yet, but if this continues and I can keep running without pain I just might be ready to start training properly for IM Germany. Fingers crossed

Goal
This week my goal is to find a balanced week of training with the emphasis mainly on the bike. I want to get into the 18-22hr week range as I feel this is where I get my biggest adaptations and in particular my endurance really improves when I'm training around this amount.
I'm going to be working on a 3 week cycle in the following way
week 1 of 3: Run Focus (16-19hrs)
week 2 of 3: Bike Focus (18-22hrs)
week 3 of 3: Swim Focus recovery week (14-16hrs)

During the Recovery weeks I'll do Testing mainly around Aet and FT to monitor my progress. Since this is still the off season for me I'll be closely monitoring both. Once I enter my IM preps I'll be mainly working on improving my Aet paces.

Monday
Run: (40min), 7km.
Success at last. 1st run in months with no pain. My foot doc cut some hole in my orthotics where my joints are as this seems to be the root of my problems. It worked I actually did a run without pain. I hope this one works.
Swim: (40min), Dryland workout
Dryland swim workout as per Gordo protocol

Tuesday
Bike: (1.5hrs), W/T, av hr 110bpm.
1hr spin
3 min on high cadence 95+, 3min off til the 90min mark.
The W/T is such a grind

Wednesday
Bike: (2.25), 63km, 110bpm
Rode easy for 30min
20min TT lower steady (130bpm)
30min easy
20min pacline (Aet) 2min rolling turns
10min easy
5min TT (upper Steady)
Good session. Holding decent paces across all zones
Run: (40min), av hr 133bpm.
9min on 1min off
1. 10kph (125bpm)
2. 11kph (131bpm)
3. 12kph (142bpm)
2min at 13kph (155bpm)
My 1st treadmill run. It felt weird but it was pretty cool being able to track HR and pace at the same time. Foot held up pretty well, not 100% but close to it.

Thursday
Swim: (3km), 1hr
1000 free, 16.20
100 (1:35), 2-50 (45)
200 (3:15), 4-50 (45's)
300 (4:55), 6-50 (45-46's)
400 (6:35), 8-50 (45-46's)
All B/L breathing and all on a 15 sec rest.
Run: (31min), 5.5km, 126bpm.
av hr Aet -19bpm. Feet were okay. Left foot was just starting to go on me towards the end, so I stopped.
Overall I feel this is a big step forward

Friday
Resy day

Saturday
Had to work Saturday. So I could only do a ride
Bike: (3hrs), 110bpm, 80km.
Good ride this morning. HR is sitting nice and low with my pace still up. Can sit around 28-30kph @ 110-115bpm. This was unheard of 1yr ago. TT'd the last 30min at Aet and it felt like I was flying. Comfortably holding 36-38kph @Aet.

Sunday
Bike: (5:20), 141km, av hr 123bpm.
Solid ride all the way down to Nisaki past Kamakura. Did the 1st 3.5hrs low hr (av hr 117) then I TT'd for the 2hrs as a strength workout. Aim was to keep HR above Aet the whole time while pushing a bigger gear then normal


Total

Swim 1:40
Bike 12:55
Run 1:51
other 1:00

Total 17:26

Summary
Finally was able to pull off a bigger week. Feet have held up pretty well. I was concerned about the long ride on Sunday, but my feet were only sore in patches. Overall, I very pleased with the way I'm riding, my running is slowly returning (baby steps) and I'm still not too concerned about my swim. I can pick that up quickly anytime.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear that you are now able to run without pain.

We should now plan a training session with david.


cheers

Thierry

10:34 am  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Thanks Thierry,

It is still a little too early yet to see if I'm on top of this injury or not.
I've got my bike k's back up and I'm ready to hit the hills again.
I'll probably need a couple more weeks or months of just very light running for now.

Paul

11:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello Paul
how much time did you run the 5km race ?
i'm not familiar yet with abreviations: what does Aet means ?
see you soon

éric

11:26 am  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Hi Eric,



I didn't time the fun run, but the guy that won was about 5 seconds in front of me and he said he did just under 19minutes.



Aet is your Ironman pace. It is situated right at the top of zone 1. (ie Using Friels zones based on a all out 40k TT bike and a 10k TT run, then use the average heart rates to determine your zones).



Your Aet pace will determine how fast you can go in an Ironman. It also determines how fast you need to train and how much time you should spend in each training zone.



For example, I did a 40k TT bike and my average heart rate for the TT was 164bpm. This puts the top of my zone 1 at around 136-141bpm. Therefore 136-141bpm will be my IM effort. I do all my enduirance work 10-15bpm below Aet. I do all my strength work at around 10-15bpm over Aet and my TT wotk at around 0-5bpm above and below my Aet. I avoid Aet +5-10bpm because this is the 'grey zone'. That is, it is too fast for endurance work but too slow for threshold work.



if you can go out and do a 40k TT bike and then a 10k TT run on another day as fast as you can with a heart rate monitor, I'll then be able to set up all your your training zones for you. Looking at the way you are training at the moment I think you spend too much time in zone 2,3 and 4. These zones are good for Olypmic distance events and 1/2 IM's but they won't give you good endruance, strength endurance and muscular endurance to do an Ironman.



At the moment I do most of my endurance work on the bike at 115bpm and on the run it is 130-135bpm. At this heart rate I'm developing my ability to utitlise fat more and this is so important for Ironman racing. I'm also building more capillaries to my muscles and more mitochondria to carry more oxygen to my muscles. As a result I'll be developing my economy and efficiency to be able to go the distance faster and faster with less effort.



Does that help????

12:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home