">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Sunday, June 10, 2007

New Shoes



Photo
Starting from the left.
Shimano size 44.
Then I recently bought another pair of shimano's in a size 45. These did not help at all.
I finally found a pair of shoes that make a wider model. Welcome to world of Sidi, size 45 E





Well spent all day yesterday riding to every single bike we could find. I brought Noel along with me as his Japanese is quite fluent and this turned out to be a big help.


My mission was to try and locate the widest pair of cycling shoes that I could find, because in one store this guy had a neat little contraption that could measure the widest of my foot. The result being is that I'm an E. But the length of my foot is only 25.8cm. So we worked out that I need at least a size 45 shoe but it had to be a wider version.


From what we were told there are only two brands of shoes which make a wider model. They are Shimano and the Sidi Scrape Genius 5.


















We went to 4 different stores and none of them stocked these two pairs of shoes in a size 45. The Japanese just have small feet. The last store we went to had the Sidi's but not the Shimano's in a size 45. I tried them on and they did feel good. They did feel much wider. This was a good sign. So I then inserted my orthoticis and then things weren't so good. The orthotics are just taking up too much more. Immediately my toes were pushing up against the sides of the shoes. I think now the problem I have with the orthotics is that they are too thick. No shoe on earth will be able to cater for this. I need to go back the the podiatrist and see what can be done. Luckily at the store, the guy who was servicing knew his stuff. He could see what my problem was and Noel was translating what I was saying. In the end the shop owner, made some insert for me that were as close as possible to what my orthotics needed to do, but only thinner. The whole process took around 1hr and he was very thorough. I walked out of the stored satisfied.






















But, will this work? I hope so.

I'll take another week off from cycling and then I'll try out the new shoes. I'll start out with only 1 ride PW until I'm riding with ZERO pain. Only then will a start to increase my volume again.

This is going to be slow, but it is pointless of me trying to train at around 70-80% of my goal weekly targets with pain.

I want t be 100% injury free so I can start doing what I feel I'm meant to be doing.

In the mean time I'll continue with my swimming focus which is coming along very well. I did a swim session yesterday with a timed 100m free at the end of the session. It was broken up into 2 x 50m with a 10sec rest. My time is now down to a 1:08 a PB. I'm getting closer to that 1min barrier.

I also did a little test set of 4-100 taking 10sec rest. The idea was to swim these at tempo (ie 1k pace). I held 1:25's doing all of these B/L. That is a big breakthrough for me doing B/L. Another PB.

fluro

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Hey Fluro,
Hope you find a solution there soon. I was going to mention but it sounds like you already found out at the shop that you can't use a running shoe ortho in a cycling shoe. They make cycling shoe specific orthos but they are very thin / rigid so that they can provide the support while fitting in the tighter shoes...sounds like you got one from that shop owner so good luck there!

Darn feet man...pain in the arse!!

I wanted to thank you for the golf ball suggestion for my PF, that has been helping a ton! I've been rolling that across the painful parts of my heel/arch and it seem to be improving although my feet are still sore, at least I can run a bit vs. none at all.
I have a 1/2 iron next weekend-yikes! Keeping my fingers crossed that I can do it...any flareups in pain this next week and I'll take a pass.

11:45 am  
Blogger Doris said...

I love tri retail therapy! :o)

Happy riding - hopefully the new shoes will help!

10:50 pm  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Thanks guys.

Mike: No worries on the golf ball suggestion. I've been using it every day myself as my left PF is really sore to touch but it doesn't effect me when I ride. I can almost apply as much pressure on my left foot as what I can on my right foot. Once I can do that then I know I'm on top of it.

Karen: retail therapy! love it. Can't wait to try out the shoes. I starting to become quite color coordinated.

Paul

12:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home