">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, October 08, 2007

Week 3 of 3 recovery week ending 15/10/07





Photos
These are from my long ride down to Misaki last weekend.

Goal this week is to test my Aet pace over the bike again and compare it to the last cycle. I think I'm also ready to start doing the 8k run test.



I've been reading the survey on How to qualify for Hawaii and here are some of the main ideas that I have pulled from the article

1. 840hr P.A seems to be the benchmark. That is an average of 16hrs PW. 73% of all Hawaii qualifiers average over 840hrs P.A.
2. Peak weeks are in excess of 35hrs. This is broken up into 23k swimming, 752k cycling, 91k running in one week. Epic camps anyone?
3. There is no off season. These guys train all year round focusing on something.
4. Typical bike week of 10hrs will consist of a 5+hr long ride with some pick ups, an IMpace ride with 2.5hrs at race pace, a hilly hour, and a trainer session with 85-95% MHR and the balance made up of easy riding and drills.
5. Those that qualify for Hawaii do more volume on the bike, significantly more race pace training, more strength endurance training and more hard intervals at 85-90% MHR
6. The breakdown of an average 5hr run week includes a 2.5hr long run (easy with hills)a 2hr medium long run with 1.5hrs at race pace, 30minutes of intervals ranging from 80-100% MHR and some drills and a short recovery run.

I hope these tips help you with your training.

Monday
Swim: (45min), 2km,
Packed again. Could only do drills.
Focused mainly on single arm drill, catchup, kick and then 4 x 25's hard. Kept repeating this over and over.
The 25m pool is just too crowded to get in any straight swimming and not being aloud to overtake is a real pain.
Run (35min), 6km, av hr 136bpm
Program in a hill session today. Highest gradient was around 9.5%. Kept it at 10kph and just ran through the hills. Lowest gradient was 3%

Tuesday
Total rest day

Wednesday
Bike: (70min), av hr 124bpm, 34.5km
15min W/U
20k TT @ Aet, time 34:51, av sp 34.2kph, av hr 141bpm.
PB by 0.2kph (ie 40sec). Tougher conditions today with gusty winds. Hard to find a consistent pace. Just need to keep chipping away towards a 35kph average.
Massage: (1hr)
Stretching and core (30min)
Run: (40min), 7.5km, 130bpm.
(9min on 1min walk) X 4
1 & 2 easy
3 & 4 recovery to 130bpm, run at pace to 140bpm and repeat. Fartklek style.
Running way seems to really help my feet the constant changes in pace mean I'm not consistently hitting the same point on my feet. Plus it gives me a chance to do some sub 5min/k running again.


Thursday
Swim: (1hr) 2.5km
15min straight free working on holding B/L
4 x (4x25) on a 1min cycle. max effort.
1,2 free
3,4 buoy
Kept all between 14-16sec. Was getitng tough from about the 12th one onwards.
15min of of drill.



Friday
Run: (40min), 7.5km, av hr 131bpm
9min on 1min walk.
Kept everything easy to lower steady on this run.

Saturday
Ride: (3:30), av hr 112bpm, distance 88km
Easy to Aet ride for the first 3hrs.
Finished off with some strength work fartlek style.
Run: (45min), 8.5km, av hr 131bpm.
very happy with my feet on this run. Stayed with 9min on and then a 1min walk. Running like this is proving to be good on my feet and will stick with this with all my runs now.

Sunday
Bike: (65min), 25km, av hr 110bpm,
I did a W/T session. all drill work while I watched the Hawaii Ironman



Total

Swim
Bike
Run

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave Ciaverella, Odyssey Coaching said...

Hey Paul!

I think I may throw a monkey wrench into that data. I will compete in IM Western Australia to bid for a Kona slot...as well as try to break 9:30. My longest bike ride will be 4 hours preceeding the race.

5:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home