">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Sunday, August 14, 2005

week ending 14/08/05

Well I have what is known as anterior compartment syndrome. It looks like I’ll need to take 4weeks off running completely in order to reduce the swelling. Like I said in a previous post, I’m disappointed but I guess I just have to roll with it and refocus my training. I definitely will start concentrating on improving my bike endurance and strength now and I may even think about getting back into the pool.
The week training was as follows
Zone 1: 8:49
Zone 2: 1:53
Zone 3: 0:27
Zone 4: 0:15
Zone 5a: 0:08

I’m still riding on a borrowed bike at the moment, as Giant haven’t sent the replacement front forks. It’s a good bike but no tri-bars, which means most of my efforts this week were in the hills. It’s paying off. I feel like I’m climbing better each week and I can’t wait to have another shot at the Mt Keira TT record.
I’ve been really focusing on riding as much as I can in zone 1 now and it is starting to show through. My energy levels are much more consistent on my long rides. I’m feeling less fatigued towards the end of rides because. I think this is due to the fact that my body is now processing fats much more efficiently. I’m even starting to crave fat my now in my diet. This is a good indication that my body is really starting to utilize fat as a fuel source. I will definitely keep this protocol continuing over the next few months.
My next planned race was to be the Gold Coast 1/2 ironman then Port ½ ironman. I think I may have to can Gold coast and just focus on Port ½. I hate more then anything being injured and competing at Gold Coast could be interfering with the recovery process.
Tip of the week
I wrote this over at slowtwitch and thought I would share it here.
The hardest part about an IM is the run. The majority of people on this forum would agree with that. To over come this dilemma you need to train for that run. How do we do that;

1. Run hard but not long enough to break down the body in training. It is so sure that if you train slow you will race slow. If you want to run fast then you need to train fast. Fast running is completely relative to you (4, 3.30 or a 3hr IM run). There is no need to run long in training. it is, and always will be counterproductive. Once you start running 2+ hrs, you are greatly increasing the need for recovery. You will need much more then 48hrs to recover from a 2hr run. As IM athletes, the more FREQUENTLY we can train the more we will grow stronger and DURABLE. That’s the key. You need durability to run well in an IM, and durability doesn't come from running long it comes from running frequently. Running long prevents you from running frequently. If you are willing to can your 2hr run each week, this will leave you more time to run more at a faster pace and therefore increase you durability. If you can make your all day everyday running pace faster and faster then you are going to run a faster IM. For example, if you are comfortable running 8min miles all day everyday without worries 5-6 days a week, then over time that pace decreases to 7.50 min miles, what do you think is going to happen to your IM run, as apposed to running a slow 2+ hr run that greatly increases the risk of injury and does not allow you to run fast??? Don't run long but run a lot and you will greatly improve you IM run time and minimize the risk of an overuse injury.

2. Bike volume. I know guys that can easily run a sub 1.20 fresh 1/2 marathon but have never broken a 3.30 IM run. It is because of the bike. No matter how well these guys can run they will never break a 3:30 unless they focus on their bike. They think they can pull off a good IM bike on a 20 week IM training program. That’s crap. If you aren't prepared to put the time in on the bike for at least a 1-2yrs of consistent riding you can forget about running well. it won't happen. People will claim that they can, but can you imagine how they would of done with a full year of cycling consistently for at least 10hr a week minimum?? Unfortunately on the bike the adaptation process is slower then the swim or run and does require much more volume. This volume needs to be built up over a long period of time. As an example, in my first year I rode for 12-15 hrs pw for 10 months straight. I pulled off a 5.11 bike spilt, which appears to be reasonable until you look at my run split of 3.58 (crap). I still lack strength and endurance on the bike to run well. That’s even with a 10month bike focus, never missed a workout and rode through winter when no-one else did. This year (2nd year) I'm going to still focus on my bike and I am training currently training around 15hrs pw. The goal is to do the same time but then run well off the bike. It's always been a 2year plan. In my personal opinion there is no need to ride easy in an IM. If you have put in the time on the bike through a 1-2 yr bike focus you can ride strong and still run well.

cheers

fluro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home