">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Sunday, June 19, 2005

week ending 19/06/2005

Base 1 (week 3/4)
A solid week of training. I’m really looking forward to the recovery week ahead. The breakdown of my training was as follows
Zone 1: 10:48
Zone 2: 3:21
Zone 3: 0:36
Zone 4: 0:05
Spent much more time in zone 1 this week. This is important for building up my mitochondria, capillarisation and fat burning abilities. I still find it hard to get my head around zone 1 training as it feels so easy. At most I limit myself to Aet -10bpm. I need to stick with it though to really develop the deep base I need before entering the build period.
I did 3 BT sessions this week. My LSD bike on Saturday really nailed me. I climbed up Jamberoo Pass, which is an undulating climb up to Robertson. The toughest part of the climb is a 6k section with a gradient of 9.2% according to my polar hr file. It certainly felt like it. In some sections I was out of the saddle sitting on about 8kph with a cadence of 35. It doesn’t help having only a 21 tooth on the back. Oh well. I survived the climb, only just, and it left me feeling smashed for the next 2hours of the ride. Overall, I was very pleased to be able to complete such a tough climb. It was a good strength session. Doing climbs like this makes going up Mt keira, a 9km climb at 6% grade feel like a walk in the park. My second BT session was my double run. I ran 18k in the morning and 14k in the afternoon. This was probably my best run to date. I feel like my legs are starting to cope well with running twice in the one day. My times have been approximately the same each week, but I feel my RPE is dropping. Hopefully it won’t be long before I see a similar improvement in my pace. My final BT session was my first brick session since starting up training again. I did a1.5 hr bike followed by a 30min run. All went well.
Now I have a recovery week to follow. I’ll aim for about 10hrs of training, which will include 4-5 rides and 5-6 runs. I will cut back the volume of each session by 50% but keep the routine of the frequency going. Mentally I’m feeling good. I’m training well and I’m eager to get out there each day. It’s important that I keep this enthusiasm going and if I feel like I’m grinding along I’ll look at what I’m doing and change things up.
What I’ve learnt this week.
Heard a good quote about why people think Lance Armstrong is so good. Basically he trains a lot and trains hard. This is so true. It’s simple really, to do well you did need to train a lot and train hard. This is why I picked out the hardest climb I could possibly do in the Illawarra on Saturday. I knew it was going to challenge me and hurt me like no other climb.It did hurt me, it nailed me actually and I had nothing left. It was a climb that no one does and I thought well lets just get out there and do it anyway. Do the things no one else is prepared to do.


fluro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home