">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Week ending 5/6/05

The week went to plan almost. I managed to hit all the sessions during the week, but I missed the Saturday TT due to work commitments. Legs are feeling great at the moment. I contribute this mainly to the increase in run frequency from 3-4 sessions per week to 5 sessions per week. I think I’m ready to introduce another run and start running 6 sessions per week. I’m running around 5 hrs a week now and will I aim for 6 hrs next week. I did my first Long bike ride with the cycle club. I really opened it up going through Jamberoo pass. I think my HR peaked at 172bpm, which is high. I did around 6.5hrs of training on the bike, which is still quite low. This week I’ll aim for around 8-10hrs depending on time. My second job is chewing into a bit of training time at the moment and it’s not easy juggling everything.
I’m focusing on 4 sessions next week. The double run day (18k/12k), 16k fun run, 4.5 LSD bike and my first brick session (1.5/40min). Everything else will be a filler.
I was reading Rich Strauss website the other day and he is aiming for around a 9.22 at IMCDA. The guy is so dedicated to the sport. I look at my own goal of 9.30 and realise now is the time to really refine my approach to training, nutrition and flexibility if I want to have a good crack at that time. Training alone for a 9.30 won’t be enough. I really need to sort out my nutrition and flexibility over the next few weeks. The reality of doing a 9.30 is just starting to sink in now. At the moment I’m meeting all my targets. That being I’ve averaged 35.8kph on my first 20min interval. I’m running comfortably 4:30 pace over 10k’s. My next goal is to start breaking 4min k’s at Kembla joggers fun runs. I think doing these fun runs now and improving my top end speed is making me much more efficient at my Impace. My Aet fresh pace (same as Impace in theory) is sitting around 4:30-4:40’s at the moment. I think once I start running around sub 4:30’s I’ll be right on target for a 3:30 IM marathon. The key to that though is building up some serious bike strength in order to comfortably ride a 5:05-5:10 bike split. Looking at the course profile at Port Macquarie and comparing it to Forster I’m starting to think that Port Macquarie will be an easier course. There appears to be 2 short sharp hills that will start to sting by the third lap, but they don’t appear to be long enough to really impact the stronger riders.
Tip of the week.
Mix things up to encourage your body to make the biggest adaptations it can. Doing the same thing week in week out will soon leave you sitting on a plateau. Your body quickly becomes accustomed to when, how and why. Change the when, the how and why regularly and your body will continue to grow stronger and fitter in a continual climb towards your overall goals.

fluro

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you believe the course at Port Macquarie is easier then wouldn't that suggest that times would be faster?? If that being the case then wouldn't you be reassessing your overall predicted qualifying time, hence re-adjusting training to suit.

cheers
The Gold One.

10:24 am  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Good point. I've used 9.30 as a buffer based on previous years results. A 9.30 in the 35-39 age group will pretty much gaurantee you a spot. Over the past 4 years the Hawaii slots have rolled down to around 9.50-9.55.
I don't think I'll re-adjust my training as I train primarily to HR zones, which I'll stick with. I'm just hoping with the right mix of training my times will meet my goals of a 9.30. On paper alone PM appears to be flatter overall, however, there are so many other factors that could make the course harder then Forster. I can't wait to test things out at the 1/2. What are your plans?

fluro

8:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home