">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Base training

Base training
Consistency, volume, frequency and strength. This is what will be the main focus for the base period over the next 12 weeks. Last year I averaged around 12-15 hours pw of training. This year I will build on that by aiming for around 15-20 hours pw. I was averaging 10-12 hrs of cycling and 3-4 hours of running. My goal over winter this year is to achieve a benchmark of 12-15 hrs of cycling and 6-8 hours of running each week. That’s the nucleus of base training. Keep the volume up and keep it as consistent as possible from week to week. Once I’m comfortable with these hours I will then focus on improving my strength in preparation for the time trial work to follow. Luckily for me I live in a very hilly area so every run and ride will incorporate some form of strength work. On flats I will include a weekly BG session with the aim of building these sessions up to around 2-2.5 hrs of specific BG work. I think BG sessions are a great way to link the strength gained in the hills to TTing on the flats.
On a weekly basis I’m working towards running 6-7 times pw and riding 4-5 times pw. I won’t be swimming over winter as swimming is by far my strongest discipline and therefore requires the least amount of attention at this stage. Every two weeks I’ll do a fun run with Kembla joggers and a cycle race with the Illawarra cycle club. These two sessions each fortnight will be my only intensity work, which is something new I’ve added to my program. I’m looking forward to racing more this winter in an attempt to improve my top end speed. This in theory should help develop my efficiency at IM pace.
By the end of base 3 my goal is to be comfortably riding 180-200km with sets of 40min efforts at IMpace, run comfortably either for 2.5 hrs or a double run day of 2hrs in the morning and 1-1.15 in the afternoon and finally to build my long brick session up to a 5/2. From that point I’ll be ready to enter the build period where the volume with drop gradually and the specific TT work will increase.
I’ll be using the 3 weeks on 1 week off cycle. Last year I worked on a 2 on and 1 off cycle as I found I wasn’t really ready for the 4 week cycle. Doing an extra week of build should be a good way to overload the body this year. During the weeks 1 to 3 I’ll be adding on approximately 10-15% of volume, while keeping the intensity at the same level with only a small increase in the duration of the intensity work (ie around 5%). In the recovery week I’ll cut my volume down to around a comfortable 10 hrs, and use this a standard recovery week for each cycle.

Let the fun begin

Fluro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home