">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, May 16, 2005

week ending 15/5/05

A good week of training. I did 3 rides all easy to Aet and 4 runs. My first double run day went well. I liked the feeling in the legs with the second run, very similar to running off the bike. I think I'll keep this session in the plan to see how it pans out. Ran my first high intensity run yesterday. It was a 8.3km fun run at Cordeaux dam. My time was 33:19 (av hr 170, 4min k's). It's the first hard run I’ve done in 18months. I was quite surprised to actually run 4min k's on a hilly course. In the past the fastest interval effort I would do would be at around 4.20 k's. My foot is a bit tender today (Monday) but I was very happy to feel no pain during the run. I’ve had this injury for 11 weeks now and I finally feel like I'm on top of it.
This next week I’m aiming for 4 rides and 5 runs. The preparation period is coming along well. I'll also start palates on Monday to substitute swimming over winter for a while. I’m just not mentally ready yet to get back into squad training. Palates should be good. I feel like I need some serious core strength work as I noticed how unstable my running became towards the end of the fun run. I think by strengthening my core area I'll be able to run longer and more efficiently, especially when fatigue starts to set in. If I'm motivated enough I may even knock out a k or two in the pool.
Tip of the week: Intensity to improve your efficiency
During the preparation and base period of training use intensity wisely to improve your efficiency. By running fast, short intervals you will be in a position to see where your form and economy breaks down. If you develop your efficiency at a fast pace you will see a big improvement in your economy and efficiency at your IM paces. Remember though only use intensity in your program at this stage to assess your efficiency. Don’t extend your intervals too long so they become threshold work, that’s not the goal at this stage. For example, run 10 x 1min efforts hard, with a 3 min recovery. The intervals should be hard enough and fast enough to clearly enable you to see where your running form breaks down. Once this occurs you are then in a position to make the right adjustments to correct any deficiencies in your stride. The same principle applies for swimming and cycling. Do short hard bursts with a long recovery.
The sessions that work on your efficiency in all three disciplines should not be too taxing on the body. If they are then your not really focussing on improving your efficiency.

Fluro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home