">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, April 25, 2005

The long brick session

Building Bricks

My focus during the base phase will be the Long Brick. By the end of the base phase my goal is to be doing a brick session of 5/2. Since running off the bike is my greatest limiter I will logically focus on running long off the bike. Poor bike pacing has been a big contributor to me not running to my potential. Therefore, I believe building a long brick session into my training program will address this issue. If I have to decide between doing either a 6hr ride or a 4/2 brick I think the brick session will yield the greater returns if executed correctly.
Each week I will alternate between doing a long brick session, followed by a week with a long run and long bike. Each brick session will be done at an easy to IMpace. The only time I will increase the intensity of the long brick is when I enter into the build phase. Then I will gradually reduce the volume of the long brick while increasing the intensity up to HIMpace for various length of time.
My goal is to build my long run up to 2:30 and my long bike up to 6hrs. I think to be a sub 10 hr IM athlete I need to long brick to build up a clear race plan that will have me racing right to my potential. To establish this zone of intensity I will need to do race rehearsals that will enable me to find the right intensity to race at without going over the edge and blowing up.
Long brick session will give me the confidence and knowledge I require to race to my potential. During the bike leg I can focus on pacing and setting up my nutritional requirements for the run. It will be important to treat the bike as just another long solid bike training day. The difference being mainly that I will be riding the majority of the time on my tri-bars and at a much more consistent pace. As a tip I will also weigh myself before and after the bike to make sure I’m taking in enough fluids. On the run the focus will be to find the right intensity and pace as quickly as possible. I think mentally I will benefit from knowing that I’m about to head out for a 2:30 training run and by the end of the run my goal is to think that I can still run for another 1 hour in order to complete the full IM distance. Therefore, my aim is to be able to ride for 5 hrs and av around 35kph with the right hr and to run around 30km at 5min k pace and still have something left over in the tank. If I do I think then I have paced my long brick well.
If I blow up during any part of the run I’ll know then I have done something wrong. I would rather blow in training rather then on race day which is what has been happening to me in the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home