">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Week ending 21/01/2007

A good week of training this week. I reached a few milestones this week. Firstly, it was the first time I have run 6 sessions in one week. Secondly, this was my second biggest week ever of running. Currently my biggest week is 7hrs or 78km. This week I ran 6:15 and 70km.
People like Mike his training buddy Steve and the slowtwitch run challenge (not in it by the way) have really motivated me to run more. I have been very weary of running a lot though, as I am quite prone to overuse injuries. Even at the moment I’m still having issues with my peroneal nerve and the left ball of my foot burning when I run.
I decided to start up with yoga this week. In the past it has never really appealed to me and I’ve bought some books previously and tried it but never took to it. Well, a couple of fellow teachers at the school I work at have decided to bring in a Yoga instructor to the school and I thought I would give it a go. It was great, there were only 3 of us and we basically stretched for a solid 1:15. The instructor was very helpful. She would constantly use her body weight on me to get me into deeper and deeper stretches, which is just what I need.
As a result I have done 3 runs since yoga and I have had no issues, at least, with my peroneal nerve. We worked a lot on a lower bodies, in particular all round my glutes, hips and lower back. In a word, I’M HOOKED, I will definitely keep this up as part of my regular recovery strategies. I’m 37yrs old in 1 week and recovery for me is becoming more and more of a need to address on a regular basis. Yoga won’t make me faster, or fitter, but it will enable me to keep up the training I so desire to do day in day out.
If you’re training for an IM. I think it is really important to implement some sort of recovery plan in order to keep up with your training schedule. Lounging around doing nothing, taking no action, won’t allow you to maintain a healthy IM life, however, long that may be.


Training your body to recover is just as important as training your body to get fitter.

Monday
Run: (1hr), 11.5km, av hr 136bpm. easy run building to steady for the last 15min. legs felt good and hr and RPE were low this morning
Core work: (30min)

Tuesday
Bike: (2hrs), 60.8km, av hr 134bpm. Easy for the first 30min. 2 x 6min BG (53/12) capped hr at 150bpm. Rode these into a heawind.
44min TT. Did 1 river loop so there were only 3 stops on this circuit (barriers) so its a pretty trouble free ride. Rode some Mod hard in the last 10min of the ride.
Run: (30min), 5.7km, av hr 140bpm. kept this run off the bike on a soft surface. Left heel is a little twtichy, need to watch this. Ran quite well for my first brick in a while

Wednesday
Bike: (1:31), 37km, av hr 116bpm. easy spin around town. av cad 81. Alot of stopping and starting when I ride in the city.
Run: (1:10), 13.5km, av hr 135bpm. easy pace for the first 50min then I inserting some fartlek efforts with a hr cap of 150bpm

Thursday
Yoga: (1:15). A very solid session of good quality stretching. I felt great afterwards and my running absent of any tightness.

Friday
Run: (1:01), 11.5km, av 137bpm. Thats the coldest morning I have ever run. The wind made it even worse. Leg felt really good up to about the 50min mark then start getting a lttle sore. Did 2 x 1km MSS efforts at around 4:20-4:30 pace
Bike: (45min), 18km, av hr 110bpm. Only had time fr a quick 45min spin today. it's soo damm cold at the moment.

Saturday
Bike: (4:20), 114km, av hr 131bpm. Just managing to hang in there with the cold. decided to leave an hr later this morning. Not that it helped, it seemed to get colder as the wind picked up.
Did the the first hr easy then picked the pace up to Aet. TT for around 1 hr broken intervals picking the pace up to mod-hard to hard.
Run: (50min) 9.2km, av hr 134bpm. very easy run in the new shoes. Had to take out the left insole (extra) as it was causing my foot to really heat up

Sunday
Run: (1:44), 19.5k, av hr 142bpm. The change of shoes and Yoga have really helped settle down my peroneal nerve. No issues. Just need to get onto of this hot/burning feeling I get under the ball of my left foot. Do that and I'll be completely injury free.
This has been my longest run in Tokyo. Felt heavy in the legs at first but then cam good after about 30min. TT home for the last 4.6 K (21:50) at MSS. I marked this course out last week and this puts my MSS-modhard pace at around 4:45min/k's. Just need to hold that pace now and get my hr down into the steady zone. will start doing 1-2 sessions PW to address this as I move into IM training

Total 17:05
Swim 0
Bike 8:36
Run 6:14
Core/yoga 2:15


Next week goals
recovery week. Maintain some frequnecy by doing 4 rides and 4-5 runs. Take it easy from Monday to Thursday and then continue with the build up of the long ride up to 5hrs. Knock the long run back down to around 1:20 this week.

fluro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home