">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Friday, November 10, 2006

varicose veins op

I hope the photos don't gross anyone out. This was the first operation of about 3-4 more yet to come. I had my veins stripped back in 1997 and as you can see they have come back. The doctor here said this should have never have happened if they actually were stripped. I'm bit confused and in quite a bit of pain at the moment.







I don't know why I'm posting this, but I'm bored at home, on my own, in Tokyo.

For those of you who don't know I been having trouble with varicose veins on and off for about 10years now and I decided to go in and have the operation.

It appeared to be a success except for the pain I'm in right at this moment. The drugs must be wearing off!

The doc didn't put me to sleep which was a bit of a suprise. This started to freak me out as I new what I was going to be in for. He pumped some numbing drugs into my leg to make sure I wouldn't/shouldn't feel a thing. Well I didn't for most of the time, and when things started to hurt, he just injected more drugs into that area.

I can't tell how stressed out I became when he made that first cut, even though I couldn't feel it I knew exactly what he was doing and when he was doing it. The first incision was about the length of my finger 1/2 way up my leg between my groin and knee. He then pulled out the pliers and started searching around for some veins. Once he found one in my leg, he then just pulled on it until it came out. He then clamps it close to the main vein to stop the blood from entering and then cuts it. He then uses the pliers again to pull the cut vein from the muscle. It wasn't very pleasant feeling someone tug away at your insides. Blood going everywhere.After a few tugs the vein rips off from whatever it was attached to inside my leg.
I just couldn't bring myself to sit up and look at what he was doing, too stressful.
This went on for about 2 hrs and three major cuts later and around 50-60 stiches, I'm sent home. No mucking around over here. I literally walked out of the hospital, jumped on a train and came straight home. I knew I had to get home quick, before the drugs wore off.
The worst part of the operation was probably when I got to sit up and see that they forgot to take away the tray with my veins. Man that tray was full. That freaked me out seeing all those veins and blood everywhere, knowing it was all mine. That was my ticket to get home ASAP.

Sausages anyone

Thanks for reading. I'll go back to being bored again

3 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Wow, I can't believe they just had you sit there and watch it! I would have passed out for sure. I can't even watch people take my blood. Hope they feel better soon!

Jodi

11:52 pm  
Blogger bbieberitz said...

In time you won't even remeber them. Take care of the incisions and lay low for a bit. Let the healing happen and don't rush to get back. You do not want to risk infection and set yourself back.
Biking in Japan, man I am jealous!!

1:22 am  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Thanks guys,

4 days later and I seem to be healing pretty well at the moment.

Paul

5:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home