">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, April 18, 2005

ATP plan for 9.30 ironman

In order to achieve a 9.30 ironman time I'll need to attain the following splits;
  1. 0:55 swim
  2. 5:05 bike
  3. 3:30 run

At the moment my best splits have been

  1. 0:54 swim
  2. 5:11 bike
  3. 3:53 run

So I need to swim the same, bike 6min faster and run a whopping 23min's quicker. It's a big ask but I think it can be down with the right training.

Running a 3:30 IM marathon

To run this time I will need to make running my focus. I'll start by do 30 minute runs 6 times per week. From there I'll build up my running each week, working on a 4 week on 1 week off cycle, until I'm reaching the following distances.

  • 1 long run 2-2:15 hr
  • 1 medium-long run 1:30 hr
  • 1 Strength/hill run 1 hr
  • 1 speed/skills session 40- 1hr
  • 2 recovery runs 30minutes

All runs will be kept at a easy to Aet pace until I'm comfortable running the above protocol

My long run will be the most important run for the week. I will make sure I don't miss that session. It will vary from week to week when I do my long run but I will make sure I don't miss it and that I run it on fresh legs.

Bike 5:05

My bike leg is one of my strongest disciplines. I think I'll be able to achieve a 5:05 next year. However, the key will be able to ride a 5:05 and still be fresh by the end of it. Last year I rode a 5:11 at IMWA and felt comfortable coming off the bike. This year I will follow a similar approach to training. That is, ride between 10-15 hrs pw and ride hills as much as possible. It is a simple and straight forward approach really. Just ride as much as I can. The key to having a strong bike leg is directly related to volume. The more you do the stronger you'll be.

Only when the winter endurance phase is complete will I start incorporating specific IM bike training.

Swim 0:55min

Swimming is not an issue at all. I only swam 1-2 sessions pw this year and I still managed a 57min swim. Over winter I'll work of form and economy by swimming at least twice pw. At about 16wks out from IMPM06 I will increase my swim volume up to 4-5 sessions pw. By then I should have the bike and run endurance where I want hopefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home