">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, March 06, 2006

4 weeks to Port

With only 4 weeks to go now, I’ve decided to try and rest my foot as much as possible. I’ll probably take this week off running and keep my riding up a little more. Last year I competed with this same problem. This year I hope I can rid myself of any lingering issues with my foot before race day. It will probably mean that I’ll lose a little fitness and some durability in the legs but, with a little luck, I may just get an opportunity to run a marathon without breaking down due to an injury.
Scott H and I have been putting in some quality sessions over the last 4-5 months. I must say it has been the best 5 months of training I’ve ever had. I’ll thank Scott for that. He has never missed a workout and we have really been able to push each other to a new level of fitness. He has used the strengths from my swimming to really show some big improvements lately in the water and I have focused extra time with my running to at least try and stay within the same postcode as him. On the bike I would say we a very similar. The hills have always been a strongest discipline and over the last 12 weeks we have devoted a lot of time to improving our sustained power on the flats. I’ll never forget 180km ride we did which included 5x40min TT efforts all well above IMpace. Another memorable session was the triple brick we completed one hot Saturday morning. This consisted of riding North for 30min and back and then a quick transition run of 30min. We repeated this 3times through and each time we upped the intensity. Man there was not much left in the tank after that one.
I can’t remember how many times now we set the alarm clocks for 3:30 am then to be meeting up for rides by 4am knowing we were about to cover around 180-200km rides. Each and every time we kept the focus on and used every opportunity we could to push each other to a new level. At times I would crack towards the end of those long rides and Scott would keep powering on right to the end. With only 1 week to go before we taper, it kind of feels strange to be able to walk around and not have that lingering fatigue in my legs or that constant rumbling noise in my stomach. Where’s the food???
Monday
Bike: 69km 2:15 (av hr 137bpm). Had a really good ride this morning. Did my 20k TT from sea cliff bridge back to Puckeys bridge. A huge PB. Time 31:58 (av hr 154, HIMpace), av sp 36.2. Rode into a slight headwind all the way, so it felt good to PB this hilly course by 2.5minutes.
Tuesday
Run 6.5km 30min (av hr 131bpm). didn't wear orthotic today. Foot feel apart after 30min into the 1hr planned run. So I stopped and walked home. Have a appointment on Thursday with foot podiatrist.
Wednesday
Bike 15km 30min recovery spin
Thursday
Bike 15km 30min recovery spin
Friday
Swim 2.5km 45min. North beach. easy swim up to North beach. Then 2 laps around markers @ IMpace. Shoulders were a bit tight and tired this morning.
Bike 15km 30min recovery spin
Saturday
Bike 110km 4hrs (av hr 127bpm). Chaos today. Lots of stopping and starting, until we reached Jamberoo then things began to level out. The pace line home from Shellharbour was full on and I hit a max hr of 182bpm. I almost blew a head gasket at one stage, but managed to hang on for dear life. Overall a good solid bike ride
Sunday

fluro

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you Fluro, hang in there mate, I'm sure you'll come thru in the end.

Mick.

3:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home