">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hard times ahead


Well appears my moroton's neuroma has finally caught up with me. Unfortunately, I now have to withdraw from Ironman Japan. The pain in my foot now only lets me run up to around 30min and I can only ride for up to 3 hrs before things start heading south and I have to stop.
The pain just becomes too much and it feels like someone is holding a blow torch under my foot.
I've had cortison injections and also orthotics put in with no success so far. I'm almost at the point where I may need an operation, but hopefully I can avoid that.
I will keep trying out other therapies and this will take time, so for that reason I've had to pull out of the Ironman. Yes I'm very disappointed about this, but Katrina and I agree that I need to get at least 12mths of solid injury free training under my belt before I can even consider racing again. My last two IM's were affected by injuries during the race and in training and I'm determied now to make sure this doesn't happen again. I think I have a good IM in me to come and I need to take on a better and more effective approach to how I train.
Talk soon.
fluro

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave Ciaverella, Odyssey Coaching said...

Paul
I am very sorry to hear this. I cant believe the steroid injections havent helped! This typically works well, even when continuing training. Think about this...if you are going to take plenty of time off, you may want to just go to surgical cure, that way you take the time off and can come back faster, and most importantly, when you come back, the neuroma will be gone. I would talk to and orthopedic surgeon, and get their opinion on it.

5:06 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

Fluro- Damn, sorry to hear the news since I know there is nothing more frustrating!
Sounds like DC may have a good suggestion about getting it corrected once and for all via the surgery route.
Hang tough!

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home