">

Fluro's Ironman Training (FIT)

Face your fears live your dreams

Monday, April 24, 2006

The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare

Volume
In a previous post I stated that in order to qualify for Hawaii I need to build a basic week of training based on event duration I decided that at least 17-22 hrs PW of training will be necessary to develop the required endurance in order to take my fitness to the next level. Because I aim a bit of a late starter and I had a 4 yr break from triathlons, I need to play catch up in the endurance department. To do that I’ll need to put together a training program that will last for three years. So far, I have been training quite consistently (apart from running) for 12months now. In order, to reach around 17-22 hrs PW each week with a good dose of steady work I need to be able to do 25 hrs PW at any pace. If I can build my volume up to 25 hrs PW, all easy, then I should be able to find time to regularly train around 17-22hr PW. That will be the goal starting in May. I’ll spend time training to train up to the volume I think will be necessary to make substantial improvements in the lead up to the Japan Ironman in May 07.
The correct volume is so important in training. With the right mix of volume and intensity the goal is to train the mind to accept fatigue and discomfort associated with the day. Epic camps, Big day training (BDT), the long bike, and long bricks will be implemented to create a deep level of good fatigue that will allow you to back up from within 36-48 hrs. I don’t think it will be necessary to fatigue the body with any shorts interval work that is anaerobic in nature. It’s just a different type of fatigue that requires extended periods of recovery and can also make you susceptible to injury and burnout.
The volume I hope to achieve each week, in particularly through BDT, will be enough to view an IM as just another Big Training Day. I have never used BDT as part of any previous training program, and I believe this time around it while be a crucial to success and the No1 session in preparing for Ironman Japan.

fluro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home